Despite feeling like death, I baked something I can only describe as a complete masterpiece today!
First, I must divulge that I attempted to make something while CK napped today. I got up, went to the kitchen, and with my head stuffed, and my nose all runny, I just wasn’t in the mood for ANYTHING. Most people would walk out of the kitchen. I, on the other hand, opened a jar of pickles and ate about half. And that was lunch.
After one (ok two!) large bowl of homemade tomato soup for dinner, I was determined to use the apples we picked last weekend to bake something unique and “healthy”.
I kicked my determination’s ass! Moist “cake” bursting with chunks of tart apple, and creamy sweet caramel on top!
I give you Caramel Apple Bars:
Adapted from allrecipes.com
- 2 cup sifted white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- a few dashes of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2 egg
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups chopped apple
- 1 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9×13 inch pan.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon; set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together melted butter, brown sugar, and white sugar with a wooden spoon until smooth. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Blend in the flour mixture until just combined, then stir in the apples. Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared pan. In a cup or small bowl, stir together the remaining cinnamon and sugar; sprinkle over the top of the bars.
- Meanwhile, in a double boiler, melt caramels and milk in a bowl until smooth.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in preheated oven; finished bars should spring back when lightly touched. Cool in the pan.
- Drizzle generously with caramel and EAT!
Oh, and I have been designing lately too, I’ll be posting soon.
In the mean time, I’ll be picking up dirty tissues, and grunting out my discomfort for the world to hear!